Tuesday, July 17, 2007

BlogCatalog Community Organ Donation Awareness Campaign

I don't usually cross-post but I wanted to today. This is from my main blog, Up the Hill Gang.

I was just thrilled when I heard that BlogCatalog wanted us all to blog about Organ Donation today! My son, Gus, was waiting for a liver/small bowel but died this past May. His little body could hold out no longer.

I know that when we discuss organ donation, we are discussing the donation of adult organs. No one wants to even consider the fact that children die and can be organ donors too. I know I never wanted to think about so I didn't. I felt that if I even thought in the direction, that I was saying I would be ok if my child died. I know that sounds strange but I just didn't want to jinx things.

I know now that organ donation is something that should be discussed before you are in a stressful situation and unable to make a decision. Talking about donating organs is not going to kill you or your child. There are so many children out there who are waiting for these organs. Gus was at the top of the national list for three months....I just have a hard time believing that there were not children who died who would have been a match for him.

I'm not bitter and I'm not angry. The outcome of our story is fully in God's hands. It is just my wish that families would be more willing to donate organs of their precious children who have died....from great tragedy, such a wonderful gift can be given.

I will be participating in this year's Blogathon over at Gus' Gang. The charity I will be blogging for is COTA: Children's Organ Transplant Association. I would love for you to come visit me on the 28th and I would love to be able to raise a ton of money for this organization!

For more information:

OrganDonor.gov
Unos


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry, I didn't know that your son has passed away. I hope its not too late for me to express my deepest sympathy to you and your family.